Margerum Wine Company

Baden Chardonnay Santa Rita Hills / Barden Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills 2014

  • Sale
  • Regular price ¥9,350
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

tasting notes
It has subtle tropical nuances and complex aromas of butter, toast and cream. A perfect balance of fruit and minerality, with earthy, white peach and bready textures and numbing acidity. Rich, mouth-watering umami and sourness linger on for a long finish.

Santa Rita Hills, 44% La Encantada Vineyard clone 76, remaining 56% LaRinconada Vineyard clones 76 and 96

vintage notebook
The 2014 vintage began harvesting on August 8th. This is the earliest harvest in the history of Margerum. The quality of the grapes was excellent, and the grapes were harvested perfectly ripe with small grains tightly packed. A very promising vintage that perfectly reflects the individuality of each grape variety. 2014 was on average cooler than 2013, and there were no weather issues such as heat waves or hail. The wines are characterized by excellent acidity balance, low alcohol content, fine-grained tannins and concentration.

Early harvested grapes were barrel fermented in cellars at room temperature of 13°C to preserve freshness. Do MLF and Batnajou for 4 months. 60% of the total is aged in new Quintessence and François Frères French oak barrels and the remaining 40% is aged in second year Ermitage cigar barrels for a total of 10 months.

Winery information
Doug Margerum's interest in food and wine began on trips to France and Italy taken by his parents who loved to travel. After that, I deepened my knowledge of food and wine culture by training in both high school and college and in restaurant kitchens and floors.

In 1981, after Doug graduated from UCSB (University of California, Santa Barbara), his family bought Wine Cask, a wine shop and commercial brewing equipment dealer. After that, Doug opened a small bistro next to the wine shop, but in 1996, the bistro became so popular that he moved the wine cask to El Paseo in Santa Barbara and expanded it. .

Doug, who was involved in creating menus as a sommelier and chef, created his cuisine based on the experience and knowledge of food cultures around the world that he cultivated in his youth, and included elements of Asian and Mexican cuisine. It was California Cuisine. And it has been featured in various media as a restaurant where you can enjoy the best food and wine in a warm atmosphere. In 1994, Wine Cask won the Grand Award from Wine Spectator magazine, joining the ranks of restaurants with the best wine lists in the world. In 2007, he decided to sell his wine casks and concentrate on the management of the winery as the popularity of wine, which he had been making as a hobby while running a restaurant, caught on.

With a motto of handmade, Margerum Wine Company creates wines with character.

In recent years, we have been producing high-quality Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in small quantities under the BARDEN brand. This is a super wine that can only be made by Doug, who is known as a French wine lover.